Call toll-free 1-800-540-7039
What is it?
Lifeline is a public assistance program that reduces the monthly telephone bill. The reduction is in the form of a credit and is deducted from the basic service charge.
Lifeline is available for one telephone per household. Phone service must be registered in the name of the applicant. If you are NOT a customer of AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier Communications, or T-Mobile, please contact your telephone company to apply for Lifeline.
Who is eligible?
Low-income residential heads of households are eligible. Income is determined by the federal poverty guidelines which are based on the number of people in the household and the total amount of money received by each member in the household. You may be eligible if your income is less than 135% of the U.S. poverty guideline.
|Income Guideline Chart
|Number of People in Household
||Total Household Income
Households participating in the public assistance programs listed below must contact their local telephone company to request an application for Lifeline. You may also visit the Florida Public Service Commission’s website at http://www.floridapsc.com/
to apply online or to download an application based on participation in public assistance. The following programs will qualify you for Lifeline based on public assistance:
- Food Assistance (SNAP)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Supplement Security Income (SSI)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs Programs: Tribal Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, Head Start Subsidy and National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Veterans Pension or Survivor Benefit
Who is not eligible?
If you or anyone who lives in the household currently receives Lifeline benefits through any one of the following carriers: Safelink Wireless, Assurance Wireless, T-Mobile or any other wireless company, you would NOT be eligible to receive Lifeline credit on your home telephone. You must contact those carriers to cancel your Lifeline benefits with them BEFORE applying for Lifeline on your residential line. Households are eligible to receive only ONE Lifeline benefit at a time. If you have any questions regarding this requirement, please contact our office at 1-800-540-7039.
Proof of Household Income Supporting Documents
We accept any one of the following official documents, however, please send us only what applies to you and it must be CURRENT:
- Social Security award letter or 1099A that states amount received
- U.S. 1040 income tax form (first two pages only)
- W-2 wage and tax statement that reflects your current employment
- VA award letter that shows amount received
- Unemployment award letter or statement of amount received
- Workmen’s Compensation award letter that states amount received
- Divorce or Child support decree stating award amount
- THREE months of consecutive pay statements showing “gross” pay from current employment
- If there is $0 income in the household, we require a written statement signed and dated by you verifying that you have no household income.
Lifeline applicants may provide proof of the total household income by forwarding any one of the documents above to:
Office of the Public Counsel
c/o The Florida Legislature
111 West Madison Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1400
Fax (850) 487-6419
For additional information call: 1-800-540-7039
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)